If you’re confused about Snapchat and how it may benefit your business, this is the guide for you.
Do you sometimes feel as if you’re sinking in the sea of Social Media? Not sure if trying a new platform could be the missing connection between you and your consumers, or enough to make your boat capsize?
With so many social channels to choose from, is Snapchat one to add to your marketing mix?
What Is Snapchat?
Snapchat is an image or video sharing platform. Any Snapchat user can send a ‘snap’ to their friends or followers. Snaps can be viewed for up to 10 seconds, dependent on what the sender decides. When time runs out, the snap disappears. You can edit your snaps by drawing with the paintbrush tool, writing text, using a fun lens or adding geofilters.
What Are The Statistics?
- 150 million daily users
- 10 billion videos watched every day
- 60% of users are under 25, 26% are 25-34 and roughly 12% are 35-54
- 41% of 18-34 year-olds use Snapchat on any given day
- 25% of smartphone users in the UK were using Snapchat in 2013
What Does All This Jargon Mean?
- Snap: An image or video, visible for up to 10 seconds.
- Story: A photo or video you post to your ‘Stories’ section. You can post multiple snaps to a story, one at a time, and they stay visible to any friend or follower for 24 hours.
- Lens: An animated effect which changes the appearance of the user. A popular choice is the ‘dog filter’ which adds ears and a nose, then you open your mouth and a tongue licks the screen!
- Geofilter: A location-specific filter which you can use to show friends and followers where you are.
- Snapcode: A Snapchat logo, with a code unique to you, which users can scan to follow you or add you as a friend.
How Can My Business Incorporate Snapchat Into Our Marketing Mix?
- Add Snaps To Your Story: You can add snaps to your story throughout the day. Think about showcasing behind-the-scenes videos, sneak preview images and exclusive discount codes. Make sure your content is interesting and gives them access to information they aren’t able to get elsewhere. Remember, anything you post to your story will be live for 24 hours… so once it’s gone, it’s gone!
- Create A Sponsored Lens: Adding Snaps to your Story is free, but if you wanted to reach consumers who aren’t already following you, then you could pay for a sponsored lens. Brands which have had success through using a sponsored lens include Spotify and Gatorade.
- Create A Sponsored Geofilter: Like a sponsored lens, designing a sponsored geofilter is also a payable feature. These filters are location and time specific, so if you’re hosting a business event, creating a geofilter for attendees to use on their snaps can increase your exposure. Alternatively, you can submit a geofilter for use within your community free of charge, but no brand names or logos are permitted.
Why Is Snapchat So Popular?
The popularity of Snapchat ultimately comes down to its speed: users can absorb information in quick blasts, and then it’s gone forever. Whether it’s a friend sending you a photo, or a brand posting a 5 second video Snap to their story with an exclusive coupon code, the user is able to access the information quickly.
Snapchat also plays on its sense of exclusivity: when you post an image to your story, followers will want to get that behind-the-scenes information before anyone else.
Does Snapchat Have Any Limitations?
- Snapchat is only available through iOS and Android operating systems; there is no support for Windows phones or desktop browsers.
- Gathering analytics is difficult. Engagement with images or videos is measured solely through numbers of views and screenshots displayed next to each of the snaps.
And The Benefits?
- Despite the minimal measurement functionality, views are a good way to show reach and interest, and screenshots can act as a measure of engagement.
- You can gather consumer insights quickly. It’s easy for your followers to contribute and you get results within 24 hours. For example, if you’re designing packaging for a new product and can’t decide between blue and red, you can ask your followers to screenshot which they prefer.
Above All, Remember To…
- Spread the word… Promote your account username across all other Social Media platforms as well as your website. Without any followers, your story won’t get any views.
- Ensure content encourages engagement… Ask their opinions, tell them about new projects, take them behind the scenes in the office, look for any chance to add value for your followers.
- Have fun!… Snapchat is an app made for a young demographic, so have fun with it. Letting your followers get to know you and your team will develop a positive association with your brand, which in turn can lead to strong brand loyalty.
As a modern marketer, you simply can’t afford to avoid Social Media, even though it seems like a minefield at times… which is why we’re here to help you make sense of it all.
Together we can develop your Social Media plan… which may or may not include Snapchat.
Let’s talk things over with a coffee (and cake if you like!)…
Simply give us a call on 01256 335662 or email email@example.com
CHECK OUT OUR RELATED POSTS
Why it’s important to understand the nuances of what works and what doesn’t! Two ‘polls’ caught our eye here in the Juicy office this week… both an opportunity for people to express their opinion of the tactics deployed and both resulting in an overwhelming NO vote…read more
Almost half of Brits and Americans have reduced the time they spend on social media Online fraud; lack of data security; alarming reports of distressing incidents; warnings about excessive usage; plus simply the maturing of the genre… factors which all seem to be...read more
ICELAND SNAGS THE TOP SPOT BUT WHY ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT IT? December is finally here! There is no denying that Christmas is well and truly on the way and along with that come Christmas adverts, however, there’s one that keeps coming back. While John Lewis has...read more