You have a website, a brand and something you want to say, the next logical step is to write a blog. But where on earth do you start?
They say to write what you know, so make sure you double check your answers are still up to date! Research can take many forms from taking a peek at what competitors are doing to asking around. What do people want to know?
- Topic – Is your topic interesting and relevant to your customers? Could you relate it to an upcoming event or holiday? Get creative!
- Existing Blogs – What’s already out there and how are you different? Make sure to take a look at what’s already being said and who is saying it. Not only will this show you what’s hot but also what to avoid…
Content, this is the meat of any blog and probably what you think of when the word blog comes to mind. That said, there are key elements to making sure that your blog is successful.
- Your Message – What is it that you want to say? This needs to be central to your content. This is your space to put out thoughts, opinions and ideas – use it!
- Use Your Voice – Your brand has its own identity – which is why you need to make sure the voice of your blog matches. Are you a little bit quirky and fun? Or perhaps you are very masculine? Make sure your tone reflects this so people get to know you a little better.
- Break It Down – A whopping 55% of page views get less than 15 seconds of attention – meaning you need to hook them in fast. Using headings and breaking down your text means people can find what they’re looking for.
Images are a huge part of what we choose to read, in fact, posts including images can have as much as 650% higher engagement than those that only include text. So, it’s worth getting it right.
Keep in mind…
- Image Quality – No one wants to look at a blurry, pixelated image! Make sure you know what dimensions you can play with.
- Make It Eye Catching – You want to grab their attention with a relatable image that represents what you’re trying to say.
- Have fun! – Can you make the image entertaining or a little different? This can be a great way to get people sharing your content.
Yep, that pesky Search Engine Optimisation again! But the good news is that blogs can (and will) improve your websites overall SEO rank with Google.
- Keywords – Think about the post and what is at the core. Remember, you’re looking for Keywords that are searchable, low difficulty, high volume and have a high click-rate opportunity.
- Make Key Elements SEO Friendly – This means making sure the title, content, images and meta description all use the set keywords as well as making people want to click that link.
You’ve written the blog post, checked the spelling and grammar (hopefully) but now what do you do with it? The answer is promote, promote, promote! You want to get your piece of work out there but how?
- Get Social – Post on your social channels about your new blog, inviting your followers to read, comment and hopefully share!
- Create Engaging Eshots – Posting useful articles will make people want to read your emails.
- Remember The 5 R’s – Reuse, Recycle, Repurpose, Rinse, Repeat. Just because you’ve written the blog and posted it doesn’t mean you need to forget about it. Could it work as an infographic maybe? Or maybe you could schedule social posts for next month pointing to it?
It’s really that simple! Check out our Juicy Guide To Blogging for hints and tips for creating your first blog post!
If you have all the ideas but don’t quite know how to word them get in touch. Our expert wordsmiths will work their magic to make sure your message is getting out there!
CHECK OUT OUR RELATED POSTS
In a crowded in-box, knowing the ‘tricks of the trade’ can make a real difference when it comes to getting your emails opened, read, and acted upon. Subjects, headlines, story-telling, design elements, graphics and more… they all entice recipients to engage and...
The above is an accurate representation of us on a daily basis! Our inboxes are rammed and we feel like we have nowhere to hide (yes, we get the irony that you are reading…