Blogging has been a huge part of the marketing mix since the beginning of the noughties, and it’s not hard to see why. Buyers consume content before making purchasing decisions.
According to Hubspot, 47% of those surveyed consumed between 3 – 5 pieces of content before taking the first step towards making a purchase.
So, we all know it’s something we need to do, but we’re here to help you with the how… Here are our top tips to help you improve your blogging results:
- Be yourself: like all social media, blogging is personal and needs to come from you. Great blogs express thoughts and opinions and showcase knowledge and expertise. That’s exactly what your readers are looking for.
- Create catchy headlines: use everyday language which will resonate with your audience. Punch it up, give it attitude and even dare to be controversial… it’s all about getting noticed.
- Structure your blog: give it a beginning, middle and end; break it up into manageable chunks and walk your readers through to action.
- Be generous with your knowledge and your ‘assets’! Provide video downloads, give reports away for free, offer webinars… whatever you have which can add value for your audience.
- Consider the length: a short blog is ideal if you’re looking for quick responses (or don’t have a lot of time to write it!), but a longer blog will fare better on search engines and will showcase your expertise better. There’s no hard and fast rule, just don’t waffle…make every word count!
- Consider the format: people like to consume content in different ways. Why not experiment with Vlogs (video blogs), normal blogs and podcasts. Which works best for your audience?
- Write for YOUR readers: some will skim your copy (most people only read between 20% – 28% of a post), others will read every minute detail, so include copy techniques which appeal to both. And please, please, always proof read and spell check your posts… mistakes wreak havoc on your credibility.
- Include great CTA’s. Your blog should have a purpose: do you want them to take a download, visit your website, call your office, book a 1-2-1? Then tell them what you want them to do! Define your offer, create a punchy ‘pitch’, and use buttons to add a touch of colour and to draw your reader’s eye… it’s all about helping them take the action you want them to take.
- Employ tactics to increase your ‘find-ability’: SEO, tags, links, sharing, even visual appearance and user-friendliness all help to boost your posts,
- Encourage sharing. Click to Tweet extracts are great for boosting shares, but so are video clips, photographs, infographics and lists. Ask your readers to share… often all they need is a little nudge. Also, according to nymarketing.com, 94% of people share blog content because they think it might be useful to other people.
- Encourage comments too. For instance, what did your readers agree or disagree with and why? What’s their take on your subject? Connect with them and keep the discussion going, but never, ever get involved in a digital spat… it’s always undignified!
- Give it time! Rome wasn’t built in a day and your blog won’t go global in one either. It needs your help, so promote it on your website and social media to grow your readership.
So, there you have it, our guide to increasing your blogs results.
As a little freebie, here’s our blog layout guide to help get you started.
If you’d like help getting a blog going, or even copywriting, get in touch with our team below.
CHECK OUT OUR RELATED POSTS
Why it’s important to understand the nuances of what works and what doesn’t! Two ‘polls’ caught our eye here in the Juicy office this week… both an opportunity for people to express their opinion of the tactics deployed and both resulting in an overwhelming NO vote…read more
Almost half of Brits and Americans have reduced the time they spend on social media Online fraud; lack of data security; alarming reports of distressing incidents; warnings about excessive usage; plus simply the maturing of the genre… factors which all seem to be...read more
CHRISTMAS TREATS ARE HERE WHO WANTS SOME GINGERBREAD? We are less than 2 weeks away from Christmas and THAT means we're surely allowed to start on the festive treats (although we *might* have started a week ago, whoops!). Of course, here at Juicy we're all about the...read more