Blogging has been a huge part of the marketing mix since the beginning of the noughties, and it’s not hard to see why. Buyers consume content before making purchasing decisions.
According to Forrester, the average person consumes 11 pieces of content before making a buying decision!
So, we all know it’s something we need to do, but we’re here to help you with the how…
Here are our top tips to help you improve your blogging results:
- Be yourself: like all social media, blogging is personal and needs to come from you. Great blogs express thoughts and opinions and showcase knowledge and expertise. That’s exactly what your readers are looking for.
- Create catchy headlines: use everyday language which will resonate with your audience. Punch it up, give it attitude and even dare to be controversial… it’s all about getting noticed.
- Structure your blog: give it a beginning, middle and end; break it up into manageable chunks and walk your readers through to action.
- Be generous with your knowledge and your ‘assets’! Provide video downloads, give reports away for free, offer webinars… whatever you have which can add value for your audience.
- Consider the length: you should aim for around 600 words as a minimum for SEO. A short blog is ideal if you’re looking for quick responses (or don’t have a lot of time to write it!), but a longer blog will fare better on search engines and will showcase your expertise better. There’s no hard and fast rule, just don’t waffle…make every word count!
- Consider the format: people like to consume content in different ways. Why not experiment with vlogs, normal blogs and podcasts. Did you know there are 5.9 million podcast listeners weekly (Ofcom, 2018)?! Test the different formats to find out which works best for your audience.
- Write for YOUR readers: some will skim your copy (most people only read between 20% – 28% of a post), others will read every minute detail, so include copy techniques which appeal to both. And please, please, always proof read and spell check your posts… mistakes wreak havoc on your credibility.
- Include great CTA’s. Your blog should have a purpose: do you want them to take a download, visit your website, call your office, book a 1-2-1? Then tell them what you want them to do! Define your offer, create a punchy ‘pitch’, and use buttons to add a touch of colour and to draw your reader’s eye… it’s all about helping them take the action you want them to take.
- Employ tactics to increase your ‘find-ability’: SEO, tags, links, sharing, even visual appearance and user-friendliness all help to boost your posts,
- Encourage sharing. Click to Tweet extracts are great for boosting shares, but so are video clips, photographs, infographics and lists. Ask your readers to share… often all they need is a little nudge. Also, according to nymarketing.com, 94% of people share blog content because they think it might be useful to other people.
- Encourage comments too. For instance, what did your readers agree or disagree with and why? What’s their take on your subject? Connect with them and keep the discussion going, but never, ever get involved in a digital spat… it’s always undignified!
- Give it time! Rome wasn’t built in a day and your blog won’t go global in one either. It needs your help, so promote it on your website and social media to grow your readership.
So, there you have it, our guide to increasing your blogs results.
As a little freebie, here’s our blog guide to help get you started.
If you’d like help getting a blog going, or even copywriting, get in touch with our team below.
CHECK OUT OUR RELATED POSTS
Every business owner goes to sleep at night dreaming of more website visitors. It’s the perfect gateway to raising brand awareness and bringing in sales. A steadfast way to increase your website’s visibility online lies with three important letters: SEO. Short for...